Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] SSL Decryption

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:10:53 +0100
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:29:28PM -0600, Stephen Fisher wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 01:34:12PM -0400, loki74 wrote:
>
> >  We are having trouble getting SSL decyrption to work fully on the
> > Windows Platform.
> >  Currently, we are capture all data on an individual web server, that
> > server then opens an SSL connection to another server.  We have the
> > keys for both servers, wireshark seems to be able to only decrypt data
> > that terminates at the server were we capture.  I see the client
> > Hello, etc from the originating server to the new destination
> > server;however the decryption fails.  Is there a reason for this?
>
> How are the keys listed in the SSL preferences?

To be able to decrypt SSL traffic you need the following:

- The private key corresponding to the server certificate needs
  to load into Wireshark succesfully (check the ssl debug file)

- The full SSL negotiation needs to be in the tracefile, ie if you
  see "ClientHello, ServerHello, ChangeCipherSpec", then the SSL
  session was reused.

- A non-DH cipher needs be be chosen by the server (see the ServerHello
  message for the chosen cipher).

Do any of these requirements fail for the server-to-server connection?

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
   Sake