Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] RTP packets

From: "Jake Peavy" <djstunks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:45:50 -0500
On 10/27/08, John Harris <JHarris@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hii Jaap,

thank you very much...

let me describe you my problem... I will make some measurement regarding QoS parameters like
Jitter and Packetloss between Linksys Router. The Packets are UDP Packets. To make some measurements
in Wireshark, I need to convert it to RTP or SIB. But I couldn't figure out how to do it...

This is my problem...If I do it in Wireshark by "decode as RTP" I can't get information about the Timestamp etc.

Do you know how to convert it from UDP to RTP to make the measurements about the QoS parameters ???

I do not believe there is a method to add an RTP header to a UDP payload; the source must produce a compliant RTP stream.

RTP was designed to address the fact that UDP does not provide any sequencing information from which to determine jitter, loss, order, RTT.

Trying to apply the header in post-processing would defeat these measurements.  You'd have to assume you had no lost or out of order packets in your UDP stream.

Once you have an RTP stream you can analyze it's performance using Wireshark.  Wireshark cannot create RTP from UDP.

--
-jp

If I was the head of a country that lost a war, and I had to sign a peace treaty, just as I was signing, I'd glance over the treaty and then suddenly act surprised. "Wait a minute! I thought we won!"

deepthoughtsbyjackhandy.com