Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] capturing "unlicensed 900 MHz local area network" packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:26:05 -0700

On Oct 27, 2008, at 7:42 AM, Joe flowers wrote:

Is there a recommended way (Wireshark or other) to capture "unlicensed
900 MHz local area network" (17,600 bps) packets?

Well, the *first* think you'd need would be hardware capable of capturing those packets that you could attach to the computer you're using and that has a driver for the OS you're using. Unfortunately, I don't know what hardware that would be.

Then there might have to be support added to libpcap/WinPcap to support that hardware, if the driver doesn't plug it into the OS as a regular network interface.

That would probably require a new link-layer type value assigned to whatever link-layer header would be supplied by libpcap/WinPcap, and that would, in turn, require support to be added to Wireshark to dissect those packets.