Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Ethernet?IP

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:28:57 -0400
stan wrote:
Interesting. I must be doing seething wrong then. I have 3 machines on a
small isolated network, 2 pieces of control hardware, and a Windows
machine. The 2 control pieces are speaking Ethernet/IP to each other (I
think). But Wireshark, running on the windows box seems to think is is X11
traffic.

When I select a packet, and bring up the "decode as" menu, what should I
choose to properly decode this traffic?

Choose "etherip" on the network tab.

That being said, I wouldn't have expected any ambiguity issues recognizing this protocol.

How are you ensuring that the PC is able to see the traffic n the network between the control hardware ? Are you using a hub rather than a switch to connect the network nodes ? or what ?

Can you share a small capture with us ?