Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Can Wireshark query the captured data?

From: "John Martin" <John.Martin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:06:12 -0400
Log parser 2.2

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/tools/logparser/lpfeatures
.mspx

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wireshark-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
j.snelders@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 3:16 PM
To: wireshark-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-users] Can Wireshark query the captured data?

Hi Abdu,

You'll find a lot of usefull information in the user guide:
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html/

In a nutshell...
Add a column to display the packete length(bytes)
Edit - Preferences - User interface - Columns
Select : New
Properties:
Title: change the title to Length
Format: select Packete length(bytes)
Apply - OK

Use capture and/or display filters.
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureFilters
http://wiki.wireshark.org/DisplayFilters

You can use a capture filter to capture only http traffic
Capture - Option - Capture filter
select: Filter name: HTTP TCP port (80)  Filter string: tcp port http

You can use filters to capture traffic to/from specific host:
capture filter:
to/from: host 192.168.100.44
to: dst host 192.168.100.44
from: src host 192.168.100.44

display filter:
to/from : ip.addr == 192.168.100.44
to : ip.dst == 192.168.100.44
from : ip.src == 192.168.100.44

While capturing you for instance can look at:
Analyze - Expert Info Composite
Statistics - Conversations

In the "Conversations Window" you can right-click on a
interesting conversation to apply a filter.

Hope this helps
Joan