Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Leopard and AirPort, only my own packets

From: Marco De Vitis <starless@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 14:37:15 +0200
Il 22-10-2008 10:54, Guy Harris ha scritto:

Leopard, to go into monitor mode you currently have to select a "link- layer header type" other than Ethernet), even in promiscuous mode. I

Indeed, I tried the other two link-layer header types available, "IEEE 802.11 Wireless LAN" and "IEEE 802.11 plus AVS WLAN header", but I couldn't interpret the results: it appeared that some data packets were captured, but the seemed to be encrypted or something.

or from other machines; they'll capture the traffic in monitor mode, but, in order to see that traffic decrypted, you'll need to provide the password for the network *and* capture the initial setup:

	http://wiki.wireshark.org/HowToDecrypt802.11

Ah, thanks, I missed this. I actually wondered if the captured traffic was encrypted or not (see above), but didn't see mentions of this aspect in the wiki (http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLAN).
I'll try when I get back home.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.