Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capture Filter

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 19:53:46 -0700

On Oct 14, 2008, at 7:33 PM, Michael Condon wrote:

But at some point the traffic is not on their private switched network - it is sending/receiving IP packets from various addresses on the internet. This may be a DAQ (Dumb Ass Question), but isn't this traffic open to capture?

If you can get access to one of the network hops between the sending/ receiving host and the destination host, yes, otherwise no.

Presumably one of the ports on the switch into which that host is plugged also has the next hop on that route plugged into it. If that host and the hop after that are plugged into another switch or a hub that you *can* tap, as is the next hop on that route, or if the hop after that is a point-to-point link that you can tap, then you could capture that traffic.

Later, rinse, and repeat until you reach the final machine.