Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark showing null values in the generated pdml file

From: "Abhik Sarkar" <sarkar.abhik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:50:11 +0400
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:12 PM, siri m <svu004@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have 2 questions:
>
> (1) If wireshark gui (0.99.6) can show the right values for the show and
> value for the smpp message, was bug fix 1110 a temporary fix?
I am not sure if that was a temporary fix or not, but a lot more
things can be done in the GUI than the way in which the packet is
exported to PDML. So, I don't think the two can be compared. My
understanding is that the bug 1110 was reporting invalid characters in
the PDML file and the handling of FT_NONE was changed accodingly.

> (2) Is there an alternative way to get the show and value present in the
> smpp message? (previously with tethereal, we used to convert the smpp
> capture file to pdml format and then, convert the hex value in the value
> attribute of the pdml file to get the contents...).

I will review this and perhaps post a patch to enhance the handling.