Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Understanding Packet Contents

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:48:55 -0700

On Oct 5, 2008, at 7:03 PM, D.C. wrote:

I have used ur previous version (ethereal) and have captured some packets. I get all the data about the packet but am unable to read teh contents in human readable form. How do I get to do that?

Ethereal/Wireshark should display three panes - one with a list of packets, one with a detailed dissection of the packet, and one with the raw hex data in the packet.

The middle packet shows the closest thing we have to a "human readable" dissection of the packet; the triangles it shows can be clicked on to "open up" particular protocols to see the details (it's the standard "disclosure triangle" used in GUIs).