Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Help

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:25:45 +0200
Passive TCP stream estimation of RTT and jitter parameters
But, J.; Keller, U.; Kennedy, D.; Armitage, G.
Local Computer Networks, 2005. 30th Anniversary. The IEEE Conference on
Volume , Issue , 15-17 Nov. 2005 Page(s): 8 pp. -
Digital Object Identifier   10.1109/LCN.2005.101

traffic flows. They are typically used near the edge of the network,
but not necessarily at the termination point of data flows - usually
within a few hops of end-points. Round trip time (RTT) values for
individual flows is of interest for network management purposes and
can be used to indicate user experienced network delay, and in network
design decisions. Determining the RTT when not at an end-point of a
data flow is complicated by the fact that packets may be seen out of
order and that witnessed packets may not reach their destination. In
this paper we present an algorithm to estimate running RTT and jitter
characteristics of TCP streams monitored at the midpoint of a TCP
flow.

First: think needed is read that article I guess...

Then...
 if and only if those algorithms are not patented, they should be
implemented in wireshark's TCP dissector.