Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] 802.15.4 Decode

From: Colin O'Flynn <coflynn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 22:19:39 -0300
Hi,

> So, in that mode, can you do IP-over-802.15.4, or is that a sniff-only
> mode

In that mode it's a sniffer only. It will send packets out if it gets them,
but the computer won't be able to understand the responses since they aren't
IPv6.

If the host ever had 6lowpan support it would understand them. Which may
someday happen - hence the hope to keep this somewhat reasonable in how it's
implemented!

The device does enumerate a serial port at the same time as the network
interface though, so it would be possible to do the sniffing at the same time
as the IPv6 is running possibly.

> And on what OSes are you doing this?  (I.e., what host OS's networking
> stacks are getting these packets?)

Both Linux and Windows. The USB Network device is using the "remote NDIS"
(RNDIS) protocol so that it will work on both Linux and Windows with built-in
drivers.

Regards,

  -Colin