Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Certificate Request doesn't seem properly displayed

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:14:01 -0700

On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:35 AM, Ryerse, Mike (DIS) wrote:

No.  I also thought that 0.99.1 was the last Ethereal as well, but my
co-worker has 1.1.0 which I thought odd.  Here is the text from
help-->about:

Version 1.1.0-SVN-18189 (SVN Rev 18189)

Copyright 1998-2006 Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxx> and contributors.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is
NO
PURPOSE.

Compiled with GTK+ 2.6.9, with GLib 2.6.6, with WinPcap (version
unknown),
with libz 1.2.3, with libpcre 6.4, with Net-SNMP 5.2.2, with ADNS, with
Lua 5.1.

Running with WinPcap version 4.0.2 (packet.dll version 4.0.0.1040),
based on libpcap version 0.9.5 on Windows XP S, build 2600.

Ethereal is Open Source Software released under the GNU General Public
License.

That's not a release we ever distributed. Somebody built that themselves, after tweaking the version number string (the 1.x releases occurred after the name change, so no 1.x release we ever distributed would call itself "Ethereal"), so we have no idea how it differs from any release built from our code - whoever built that release might, for example, have changed stuff in the SSL code.

Does your co-worker know where that version of Ethereal came from?