Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Database Protocol support

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:42:32 -0700

On Aug 27, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Al Aghili wrote:

I had a question regarding the DB protocols supported by tshark. I saw mysql support but is there also support for other protocols for queries to Oracle or DB2?

I have the impression that Oracle uses a protocol that Wireshark calls "TNS" (Transparent Network Substrate); that protocol is dissected by Wireshark/TShark.

Wireshark/TShark also dissect a protocol called DRDA (Distributed Relational Database Architecture); a comment in the DRDA dissector says:

*  DRDA in a nutshell
*
*   DRDA stands for Distributed Relational Database Architecture.
* It is a protocol between database client and database server published by * the Open Group (www.opengroup.org) DDM (Distributed Data Management) is an * data management interface which allows to exchange structured data between * systems. DRDA is specific to relational databases and uses a subset of DDM * to transport its data. The IBM DB2 product uses the DRDA protocol from * version V8. Unless negotiated differently during the handshake, the fields
*   of the DDM commands and reply messages are in EBCDIC.
*
*   Documentation:
* DRDA Version 3 Vol. 3: Distributed Relational Database Architecture,
*       Open Group.
*   Reference for Remote DRDA Requesters and Servers, IBM.