Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Pb?, Max Delta, Max Jitter, Mean Jitter colums in wireshar

From: "Lars Ruoff" <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:02:21 +0200
Hi,

The 'X' in Pb is only a hint.
It will be put in the summary whenever there is anyone of the following
issues detected on the stream: Out of order sequence numbers (including
missing ones) and payload type changes. (Are there any other? I don't
remember). It doesn't even check about Max delta and jitter.

Concerning your sample:
Lost packets - Few - not a problem.
Max Delta - High! - May be a problem (indicates voice gaps) - unless you are
using voice activity detection  /silence frames.
Max Jitter - Quite high! (as compared to Mean jitter) - May be a network
issue.

I suggest you drill down to in-depth "RTP-Analysis" for any streams sticking
out by any of the above values and then go through the packet list to see
any incoherencies.

Sorting the RTP-Analysis columns by "Delta" or "Jitter" (descending) may
give you a quick view at the max values.
Try to look for the packets with high "Delta" and explore the immediate time
neighbourhood of these packets.
You might see a gap followed by a sudden burst of packets (near zero Delta).
Then you have a network problem (packets are buffered somewhere).

Regards,
Lars