Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Pb?, Max Delta, Max Jitter, Mean Jitter colums in wireshark's

From: "gdonts" <gdonts@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:34:50 +0100
Hello,

I have a conference bridge (Avaya S6200 on SCO Unix) which I'm getting intermittent reports of 'garbled' audio. The conf bridge uses G.711 u- or a-law, and incoming audio is provided by an ITSP (who have media gateways (I believe Cisco) installed in a variety of locations that connect to PSTN).

I've also got a PSTN connection into the bridge, where there are no reports of poor audio, so I suspect something on the network (ie this is only effecting calls that come in via SIP/VoIP).

I have the following connectivity:

Unix conference bridge <-> Cisco 2960 switch <-> Juniper SSG5 firewall <-> datacenter's BGP <-> public internet <-> ITSP's own POP <-> ITSP's own network <-> local media gateway in local carrier datacenter

I can't install Wireshark on the SCO Unix bridge (old 7.1.1 version of OS), so I've got Wireshark running on a Windows server connected to a Port mirror (or port span) so it's taking a copy of all the traffic going to the Unix conference bridge. I also know that Wireshark can't know the state of the various points on the network, so I'm only posting info on the end-point (ie at the conf bridge)

I'm also open to any general suggestions that anyone has, but I know this is a Wireshark maillist, so what I'm specifically trying to find out about Wireshark (bless it!) is:
I've used the Statistics -> RTP -> Show all streams to get a view of the various RTP streams of reported bad audio. I've a vague idea of the principles behind calculating jitter, but when I see an 'X' in the 'Pb?' column is this definitely a problem or just a suggestion that it might be an issue? The following are the values for one sample call with reported bad audio:
 Column - forward value [reverse value]
Lost - 0 (0.0%) [47 (0.0%)]
Max Delta (ms) - 4119.77 [320.14]
Max Jitter (ms) - 1.80 [70.12]
Mean Jitter (ms) - 0.02 [0.30]
Pb? - blank [X]

The above is from a sample of about 60 minutes, so is a good representation.

So which of the above values (if any) should I be worried about (ie would affect audio quality)?

Any information/suggestions/comments appreciated.

Regards,

gdo