Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Help with troubleshooting SQL and application server communica

From: "Michael Montgomery" <Michael.Montgomery@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:54:58 -0700
Hello All,

I am a Wireshark newbie (who really wants to learn how to use the tool and my employer won't pay for training)  and was wondering if someone could help me understand a capture between a SQL database server and its front end application server.  We had a company come in and analyze our network and they stated in their report that our application server is not processing SQL data being received fast enough to keep up with the rest of the application.  I've been tasked to re-create this trace, after reconfiguring services to use specific port numbers, to either validate/invalidate their report by using Wireshark.  After running a capture I've noticed a ton of [TCP Out-of-Order] [TCP segment of a reassembled PDU] and several [TCP Dup ACK] errors.  I am assuming this is bad and not sure why this would be occurring.  Any ideas?  or what I should be looking for?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Michael