Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Can't load a MIB file

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 21:27:21 +1000
SMITH, RICHARD S (RICH), ATTLABS wrote:
> Do I need to load each of the pre-requisite files or do they just need
> to be in the MIBs folder?  Do they need to be renamed to match the MIB
> name .... i.e. juniAaa.mi2 becomes Juniper-AAA-MIB.mi2?

Answered in the oposite order.

1) Filenames must match the MIB name from the "DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN"
line. Any one of:

Juniper-AAA-MIB
Juniper-AAA-MIB.my
Juniper-AAA-MIB.smiv1
Juniper-AAA-MIB.smiv2
Juniper-AAA-MIB.sming
Juniper-AAA-MIB.mib
Juniper-AAA-MIB.txt

would all work. If you complied your own version of libsmi.so (or
smi.dll on Winblows) you could add ".mi2" to the list of extensions in
lib/data.c

2) Pre-requisites only need to be in the MIBs folder. The parser will
load any pre-requisites, which must also have filenames that follow the
rules in 1). I haven't gone through the MIB loader code in Wireshark to
determine if the objects in pre-requisiste modules are available for
disection.

                -- Dr. Who