Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Wireshark staged in ninth art (comics)

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:41:53 -0700

On Jul 31, 2008, at 11:15 AM, metatech wrote:

Wireshark is staged in a comics album called Climax "Le désert blanc" by Brahy, Corbeyran and Braquelaire (page 26) As you can see from the attachment it is a real screenshot of a true Wireshark session. You can see that the network card name is "eth0" and that it looks like Linux KDE

The image appears to be largely full of Wireshark windows; presumably the KDE is indicated by the window titlebars? It's a little too fuzzy for me to tell.

(which version ?)

Well, if it came out in 2008:

	http://www.alapage.com/-/Fiche/Livres/9782505003465/LIV/le-desert-blanc-corbeyran-braquelair.htm?donnee_appel=GOOGL

it could in theory be KDE 4, but my guess would be KDE 3.

Volume 2's coming out in September:

	http://www.alapage.com/-/Fiche/Livres/9782505004714/LIV/vostok-braquelair.htm?id=9691217541130&donnee_appel=GOOGL

maybe it'll have KDE 4. :-)

You can see that the IP address is 147.210.9.15 which resolves to raoul.labri.fr at Laboratoire Bordelais de Recherche en Informatique.

Which appears to be where one of the authors works:

	http://www.speedylook.com/Achilles_Braquelaire.html

the other being

	http://www.speedylook.com/Eric_Corbeyran.html

(both of which look suspiciously as if they were mechanically translated from French to English - in fact, the page for Braquelaire looks like his French Wikipedia page).

It is nice to see that a hacker story contains some real tools and no Hollywood OS :-)

As for "ninth art", see

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Belgian_comics

"Indeed, the distinction of comics as the "ninth art" is prevalent in Francophone scholarship on the form (le neuvième art), as is the concept of comics criticism and scholarship itself. The "ninth art" designation stems from Claude Beylie's extension of Ricciotto Canudo's seven arts manifesto (television was viewed as the eighth art) from 1964."