Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Trouble decrypting FTP over explicit TLS/SSL

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 09:34:55 -0400

Ray Van Dolson wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to investigate an FTP session using explicit TLS/SSL
(connects via port 21 using AUTH TLS command vs using a dedicated
port).

I'm using the following to direct wireshark to decrypt the SSL:

  <ftp server ip>,21,ftp,/path/to/private/key

This definitely seems to change the output some, but I'm not able to
see the FTP commands being passed back and forth:

association_add TCP port 21 protocol ftp handle (nil)
association_add could not find handle for protocol 'ftp', try to find 'data' dissector

This would seem to be a key error?  Also later on, I see stuff like the
following:

I don't know anything about the TLS/SSL stuff, but the above error is because the FTP dissector is not registered by name. I checked in a change in rev 25871 to fix that--you can pick up the change in a buildbot build in a couple of hours or, if you're building your own Wireshark, just update your source.