Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark and /tmp/etherXXXX files

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:28:46 -0600
On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 12:26:46PM -0400, Dan Murphy wrote:

> Am I the only person that has reported this behavior or the only
> person that it's actually become an issue for?  Is this the expected
> behavior of tshark?

Wireshark/tshark is supposed to clean up these temporary files after it
is done with them.  They've been a part of Wireshark/Ethereal for a long
time, including version 0.99.5.  I don't see the problem on my system,
although it is saving the temporary files into /var/tmp instead of /tmp
as in your case.  How are you terminating tshark?  A ^C for me allows
for the cleanup of the temporary file.  What type of Unix are you
running?

Steve