Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Add/delete SMI paths or modules

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:46:58 +1000
j.snelders@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> WIN_XP
> Wireshark Version 1.0.2 (SVN Rev 25698)
>
> I've tried to add a path by using Edit>Preferences>Name Resolution>
> SMI (MIB and PIB) paths.
> The Apply_button in the SMI Paths dialog_box acts like a Cancel_button.
> The same problem occurs when you try to delete a path or
> when you try to add/delete SMI (MIB and PIB) modules.
>
> So I used the OK_button
> (or you can add/edit the files smi_modules and smi_paths).

I reported this several months ago. I got a not particulaly helpful
reply which went more or less "Don't use the apply button. Use OK".

What's the point of an "Apply" button that acts like "Cancel"? It
certainly violates the principle of least surprise.

In my opinion, "Apply" should do the same as "OK" but not close the
window. You could see the effect on the current trace and continue to
modify the settings if you weren't satisfied with the result.

Or rename them "Cancel" if that is what they are supposed to do.

Or completely remove them from all the dialogs if they serve no purpose
consistenly different from the other buttons.

It would also help if changing the list of MIB directories or modules
caused the new list to be loaded, rather than having to close wireshark
and restart it.

                -- Dr. Who