Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark and /tmp/etherXXXX files

From: "Dan Murphy" <danmurphy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:26:46 -0400
wireshark does not crash opening them.  They are valid dump files.

Am I the only person that has reported this behavior or the only person that it's actually become an
issue for?  Is this the expected behavior of tshark?

Thanks,
Dan

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Luis EG Ontanon <luis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Or... what happens if you try to open these files with wireshark?
 Does it crash?

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 4:31 AM, Luis EG Ontanon <luis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess these are very large files. Most people wouldn't bother if they weren't.
>
> So I guess you are doing long running captures and periodically tshark
> crashes http://wiki.wireshark.org/KnownBugs/OutOfMemory .
>
> You could "wrap" tshark in a script that cleans behind those files.
>
> A Developer wonders if we can set a call back for when g_malloc() fails?
>

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Dan Murphy <danmurphy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Just installed v 1.0.2.  Same thing.  tshark leave behind files in tmp.

>>> What happens if you run the *current* version of TShark, which is 1.0.2:
>>>
>>>        http://www.wireshark.org/news/20080710.html
>>

> --
> This information is top security. When you have read it, destroy yourself.
> -- Marshall McLuhan

-- Marshall McLuhan