Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Building Dissector into Wireshark

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 04:17:15 +0200
".c" is a C language file, program code written probably by an human
(do  developers fit that category? :-) that means that it has to be
compiled into machine code to be run. So in order to use it you'll
have to setup a build environment, add your dissector to the Makefiles
and then build it (along the rest of wireshark). If you are non a
developer you'll have to learn a lot. The Wireshark's Developpers
Guide can be found in:
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/

There's another way, if possible ( i.e. legal and compliant with
applicable IP policy), make the code publicly available to all
Wireshark users. So it will be included in the next major version
(assuming it is decently written), and as soon as it gets committed
you can fetch a development-snapshot installer from our automated
builds directory.

To do that open a bug report (https://bugs.wireshark.org/), mark it as
an enhancement, add a description of the protocol, attach the .c file
and, if possible, a capture file with some packets.

If it cannot be made public you can either find someone that can do it
within your organization (e.g. the guy that send you the .c file) or
ask for commerial support (e.g. http://www.cacetech.com/).

\Lego