Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Change Description of Capture Interfaces

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:40:08 -0700

On Jul 15, 2008, at 10:58 AM, lomex@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

We are using a 4 Port GB-Eth Card for Capturing - unfortunately
all of those ports are named exactly the same

If this is on UN*X, it's probably not *exactly* the same, as there's probably an adapter number in the interface name, and there are probably no adapter descriptions, so they'd be "eth0", "eth1", "eth2", and "eth3", or "xyzzy0", "xyzzy1", "xyzzy2", and "xyzzy3", or something such as that.

If this is on Windows, there *are* probably adapter descriptions, which are probably the same for all adapters, so I suspect this is on Windows.

- it`s difficult
to find out to which device the interfaces are connected.

Is there a chance to change this Capture Interface Naming ? (CAPTURE -
INTERFACE)

Yes.

Select Edit -> Preferences, select "Capture" from the preferences dialog, and click the "Edit..." button next to "Interfaces:". The dialog it displays should list the adapters. Click on an adapter, and change the "Comment:" field to be the name you want for that adapter. When you're done, click "OK".

That should cause Wireshark to display the names you chose for the adapters.