Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Question] Wireshark packet capture for AT command

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:07:32 +0200
Hi,

It's important to realize that Wireshark gets its data from the network capture service which is attached to the NDIS network stack structure. The interface handling you are talking about (Hayes command/reponse exchanges on the serial interface) are processed at a layer below NDIS. Hence these cannot be captured, and thus not passed up to Wireshark.
It would require:
1. capture hardware on the serial link, and
2a. mapping into an existing capture file format, or
2b. adding a logformat input filter in the wiretap library.

I'm not aware of any products for that, but there could be.

Thanx,
Jaap

Jay Kim wrote:
Dear Wireshark,

This is Jay developing connectivity services between mobile devices and PCs.
For this connectivity, Wireshark supports good analysis tool for PPP frames.
In general, before the PPP connection between a mobile device and PC,
AT command is used to set up the initial connection.

This is a kind of string protocol unlke binary format.
If this AT command is included in the packet capture format, this
would be very useful to develop and analyze the PC connectivity as
modem services.

Please give me your valuable opinions on this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Jay