Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] GUI Version of Wireshark on RHEL4

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 09:06:58 -0400

Ahmed Tariq wrote:
Hi,

I want to install the GUI version of Wireshark on RHEL4 (Update 3). In this regard, information on the following would be appreciated.

- Where do I obtain the relevant RPM?
- Is yum required to install the above-mentioned RPM? My understanding is that yum is only available on RHEL5 and up.

RHEL ships with Wireshark (unfortunately RHEL 4 currently has only version 0.99.7). Assuming you have a valid entitlement, etc., you should be able to just do:

up2date wireshark-gnome

to install it.

If you don't have a valid entitlement you could probably use an RPM from http://www.centos.org but they will probably only have the same (old) version of Wireshark.

I'm not sure where you can get more RPMs for a more modern version (other than building it yourself).