Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Question about tshark protocol hierarchy statistics (phs)

From: Daniel Gramsch <dagra@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 15:17:12 +0200
Hi,

probably I have a simple question, but I am a newbie with the wireshark toolset. So my question is about the PHS output of the tshark -z io,phs option. What is the difference between the http frames directly after the tcp frames (X) and the http frames after the tcp.segments frames (Y) (see the listing below)? Are these frames something else than "normal" http packets? And what does the tcp.segments stands for?

I had a look at http://www.wireshark.org/docs/dfref/t/tcp.html. There I found the hint, that tcp.segments are reassembled TCP segments. Are the among listed http packets therefore some kind of incomplete or something like that?

Thanks for your help,
Daniel

Protocol Hierarchy Statistics
Filter: frame

frame                                 frames:3009563 bytes:1237262948
 eth                                   frames:3009563 bytes:1237262948
   ip                                   frames:2763059 bytes:1220107838
     tcp                                frames:1470740 bytes:1083581805
http frames:123475 bytes:113927238 (X)
       tcp.segments               frames:40833 bytes:26965095
http frames:35403 bytes:21411395 (Y)