Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] PPI header capture through rpcap not working

From: Amit Vartak <amitv20@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:49:37 -0700 (PDT)
Hello,

I am trying to capture IEEE 802.11n packets with PPI headers with the help of rpcap (remote capture) method. I have installed wireshark 1.0.1 on windows XP (this is remote desktop) and using madwifi-ng custom drivers for capturing 802.11n packets on a linux box.

When i start remote capture, I get an error something like "192" can not be a part of capture filter. Here the link-type is actually 192 (this is link type in standard pcap file header) When i set link type as PRISM header (i.e. == 119 ) the capture works very well, and wireshark recognizes that packets contain PRISM header and decodes properly. When i change the link type to that of PPI header, this problem is coming.

When I open some PPI header file through the same wireshark version, i am able to see packets header properly but only while rpcap remote capture, i am facing this kindda problem.

Does anyone have faced similar problem or have any clue why it is happening like this?

-Amit