Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Possible network latency

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 07:16:45 +0000
Albert,

The information field value "[TCP Retransmission] Close Response" is populated by information from  two different sources. "Close Response" is simply the acknowledgement from your SMB server to a corresponding "Close Request" - thus is is really at the application layer. If you open up the Details for "Close Response" and SMB:SMB Header you should see a highlighted entry "Response to: nnnnn" where nnnn is the frame number for the Request. The client has closed the connection because it no longer requires it, so this is all normal.

The "TCP Retransmission" is how Wireshark interprets your packet trace. Because of TCP segments arriving out of order (probably because of network errors or congestion) the server has had to send this particular more than once.

Thus the two parts of the information field are not related. If TCP Retransmissions occur on basically random parts of the TCP stream, then you will need to look at what lower layer issues (congestion/packet loss) that you might have. The best way to do this methodically is to "stress" the network, generating traffic that isn't application dependant. You want to look at tools such as NLANR Iperf or the like to this. You will want to see what "goodput" you are getting and while you are testing watch the network switch/router stats for where packets are being lost.

Hope this helps, Martin

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Technology Solutions Group
HP Australia

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the information in it.