Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing and merging files from different machines

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:10:52 -0700
Chris Swinney wrote:

I have taken a capture on two different machines from an in-line network tap (one to capture upstream, one to capture downstream data). I now need to merge these file, but when I ask Wireshark to merge them chronologically, it seems to merge them based on the initial time taken into the capture, not the actual capture time.

What do you mean by the "initial time taken into the capture" and "the actual capture time"?

As a side note, is it possible to �shut up� the capturing machines from trying to send network traffic on the capturing interfaces (Windows XP/Vista), so in effect they just listen?

Turning name resolution off in Wireshark might help, but that only limits what Wireshark does on the network, not what anything else running on the machine does on the network. I don't know whether network interfaces can be configured "down" on Windows, or whether WinPcap will recognize interfaces configured "down" so that you can capture on them.