Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing and merging files from different machines

From: Kevin Cullimore <kcullimo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:13:48 -0400
Chris Swinney wrote:

Hi,

I have taken a capture on two different machines from an in-line network tap (one to capture upstream, one to capture downstream data). I now need to merge these file, but when I ask Wireshark to merge them chronologically, it seems to merge them based on the initial time taken into the capture, not the actual capture time.

I have tried to mitigate time differences by synching both machines to an NTP server, but of course both captures are themselves started a different times. How can I best accomplish what I want? I�ve had a look at mergecap (as well as the inbuilt merge facility as shown above), but am not sure if this will still do what I�m after.

As a side note, is it possible to �shut up� the capturing machines from trying to send network traffic on the capturing interfaces (Windows XP/Vista), so in effect they just listen?

Unchecking network protocols associated with the interface suppresses most of the traffic likely to interfere with a capture .

Regards

Chris Swinney

*/Tel - (01792) 411662/*

*/Email - swin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <outbind://28/swin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>/*