Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Accessing Capture interface details?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:22:04 -0700
Vinay Chilakamarri wrote:

Thanks for the response. Since I will be using this file for processing rest of the application, I want to make sure that the presence of this file is mandatory, for Wireshark to be able to function properly. Can I safely assume that dumpcap will be present in a standard installation?

With recent versions of Wireshark, any installation that can capture traffic has dumpcap, because Wireshark runs dumpcap to do the traffic capture. That's been true for several releases.