Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Accessing Capture interface details?
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:22:04 -0700
Vinay Chilakamarri wrote:

Thanks for the response. Since I will be using this file for processing rest of the application, I want to make sure that the presence of this file is mandatory, for Wireshark to be able to function properly. Can I safely assume that dumpcap will be present in a standard installation?
With recent versions of Wireshark, any installation that can capture
traffic has dumpcap, because Wireshark runs dumpcap to do the traffic
capture.  That's been true for several releases.