Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Accessing Capture interface details?

From: "Vinay Chilakamarri" <vinay.chilakamarri@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:32:54 -0700
Hi Guy,

Thanks for the response. Since I will be using this file for processing rest of the application, I want to make sure that the presence of this file is mandatory,  for Wireshark to be able to function properly.  Can I safely assume that dumpcap will be present in a standard installation?

Thanks,

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Vinay Chilakamarri wrote:

> But I also need the IPaddress of the displayed devices for some other
> operation. Is there a way to find out the IPAddress from the output of
> "Wireshark -D" from the program?

No.  That output doesn't include any of the IPv4 or IPv6 addresses of
the interfaces.

With current versions of Wireshark, however, "dumpcap -DM" will give you
a list of network devices and IP addresses.