Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Newb question please

From: "Sheahan, John" <John.Sheahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:58:14 -0400
Title: Newb question please

I would just run the capture without a filter to collect all the data. Then you can apply display filter when you view it to narrow it down to things like:

  1. just packets sent from your IP Address
  2. all HTTP packets sent from your IP address

That should give you most of what’s going on. I would shut down all applications on the machine that aren’t needed prior to doing your capture to cut down on application traffic that you are already aware of unless you want to see that too.

john