Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problem Decoding TCP Port 8080 as HTTP

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 22:31:25 -0600
On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 07:08:38PM -0400, Feeny, Michael (GWM-CAI) wrote:

> I'm using Wireshark 1.0.0, and inspecting TCP Port 8080 traffic (HTTP
> going through a Proxy Server).  When I first read the trace file into
> Wireshark, it does not decode the 8080 traffic as HTTP - simply as
> TCP. This in itself surprises me, since I have seen Wireshark
> automatically decode 8080 traffic as HTTP on other occasions.
> (Perhaps one of my Preferences is to blame for this.)

In recent versions of Wireshark (including 1.0.0), the TCP ports to
dissect HTTP on has been moved into the Wireshark preferences under
Protocols - HTTP - TCP Ports.  The port 8080 is in there by default with
a number of other ports.

> So, I try to use "Decode As", specifying TCP Port 8080 traffic to be
> decoded as HTTP, and Wireshark crashes.  (By "crash" I mean: I get a
> Message box saying, "Wireshark has encountered a problem and needs to
> close...")

Would you mind going to https://bugs.wireshark.org and opening a bug
report for this issue so we won't forget about it?

Thanks,
  Steve