Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] How can get more than 1024 files with tsharkringbuffer?

From: "Andrew Cuthbertson" <cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 22:32:30 +0200
Many thanks for the useful reply. I shall try out dumpcap and the latest
tshark for more than 1024 files

I have the latter case. Capture as much data as the hard disk would hold in
a ringbuffer and then save off relevant time period when users call to say
the intermittant problem has occurred. the 1024 files at 100MB only gave me
about 3 hours of data and users don't often report the issues so quick.

Thanks for the ringbuffer syntax check. Looks like I mistyped the original
for the email.

For remote sniffers I use 0.99.5 as there seems to be some issues loading
later version traces into some analysis code that we have written to analyse
lots of trace files at once. Maybe this version has a 1024 ring buffer
limit.

Also for application analysis we sometimes load a trace into compuware
Applicationexpert and that also has some issues loading some more recent
wireshark version traces.

Cheers

Andrew