Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireshark-1.0.0

From: "Moheed Moheed Ahmad" <moheedm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:20:14 +0530
Hi,

But then why configure comes with option --disable-dumpcap ?

Oh, Ok, because if some one wants only to dissect packets from a captured files. right ?

Moheed

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Moheed Moheed Ahmad wrote:

> Is it must for 1.0.0 to have dumpcap built in order to tshark work?

Yes, if you want to capture network traffic; both Wireshark and TShark
run dumpcap to do the capturing (so the process doing the capturing,
which might have to run with special privileges, doesn't do any
dissection, so a bug in a dissector won't cause problems in a privileged
process).