Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] libpcap library usage

From: Faraz Shamim <faraz_shamim@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 12:08:53 -0700 (PDT)
OK what I find about libpcap in the ./configure
procedure is following:

checking whether to use libpcap for packet capture...
yes
checking for extraneous pcap header directories... not
found
checking pcap.h usability... yes
checking pcap.h presence... yes
checking for pcap.h... yes
checking for pcap_open_live in -lpcap... yes
checking whether pcap_version is defined by libpcap...
yes
checking for pcap_open_dead... yes
checking for pcap_freecode... yes
checking whether pcap_breakloop is present... no
checking whether pcap_findalldevs is present and
usable... yes
checking for pcap_datalink_val_to_name... yes
checking for pcap_datalink_name_to_val... yes
checking for pcap_list_datalinks... yes
checking for pcap_set_datalink... yes
checking for pcap_lib_version... yes
checking for pcap_get_selectable_fd... no
checking whether to build dumpcap... yes
checking whether to build rawshark... yes
checking whether to use libpcap remote capturing
feature... no
checking whether to use zlib for reading compressed
capture files... yes

Also, from configure.log:

configure:26224: checking whether to use libpcap for
packet capture
configure:26253: result: yes
configure:26274: checking for extraneous pcap header
directories
configure:26297: result: not found
configure:26335: checking pcap.h usability

configure:26635: checking whether pcap_version is
defined by libpcap
configure:26664: gcc -o conftest
-D_U_="__attribute__((unused))" -g -O2 -Wall -W
 -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels
-Wpointer-arith -Wno-return-type -
DFUNCPROTO=15 -I/usr/local/include -D_REENTRANT
-I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/li
b/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0
-I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/openwin
/include -I/usr/sfw/include
-I/usr/sfw/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include   -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/local/include -L/usr/
local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib conftest.c
-lpcap -lsocket -lnsl  >&
5
configure:26670: $? = 0
configure:26687: result: yes

configure:27412: checking whether to use libpcap
remote capturing feature
configure:27433: result: no