Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tshark -T fields and info column

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:40:37 +0200
On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:09:12AM -0400, Rob MacKenzie wrote:

> After looking at the code in tshark.c, I agree with Elvis that it would
> be very easy to add.  I might in fact re-compile a custom version that
> does it.
>
> Any objections to adding this to Tshark? I'm still new to the way open
> source projects are managed, is it best to submit a bug report?

I don't think there will be objections to adding a delimiter option. I
think there will be quite a few people happy with it :-)

The best way to go about this is the following:

- create a build environment by following the instructions in
  the developers guide (follow the instructions closely if you
  will be doing the development on windows)

- download the sources through SVN

- compile the code an verify that it works

- make your changes and recompile

- once satisfied with the result, create a patch file
  with 'svn diff'

- create an enhancement request on http://bugs.wireshark.org
  and attach your patch file, setting the "review_for_checkin"
  flag to "?" so it will show up in the list of patches.

- A core developer will review your code, comment on it if necessary
  and apply the patch once approved

Have fun writing your first tshark patch :-)

Cheers,
    Sake