Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Install Wireshark without GUI

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 23:39:32 -0700
Wynne, Daniel LDE2 wrote:

Is it possible to install Wireshark without any GUI and run it just from CLI?

No.  Wireshark is a GUI application, by design.

However, as Japp Keuter noted, there's a command-line application using the same dissectors, and many of the same taps, as Wireshark, namely TShark.

If it is, how can I do it?

On UN*X, build from source, and when you run the configure script, pass it "--disable-wireshark" as an argument. That way, it won't build or install Wireshark, but will build and install TShark.