Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capture hardware

From: Laurent Chouinard <laurent@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 11:38:39 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:
Laurent Chouinard wrote:

So I ask: Is there any hardware product whose sole purpose is to receive
an ethernet cable and record everything internally? I would leave that
device for a few days, then collect it, extract the data, and run my
analysis through Wireshark.

There are, I think, a number of companies that sell devices such as
that, e.g. Solera (found by going to the "Sharkfest '08" page from the
Wireshark home page, and looking at the list of Sharkfest sponsors):

	http://www.soleranetworks.com/products/capture-appliances.php

and NetScout, as mentioned in another reply:

	http://www.netscout.com/products/infinistream.asp

and (if I'm correctly interpreting what the devices do) Network Instruments:

	http://www.networkinstruments.com/products/gigabit/GigaStorProbe.html

and NetQoS:

	http://www.netqos.com/solutions/gigastor/index.html

and so on - see the list of vendors of "network monitoring and
management software and appliances" at

	http://blog.opusinteractive.com/industry/interop-07-lots-of-opportunities/

I don't know how much those devices cost, though.

Thank you all for your responses. Unfortunately, all of those capture systems are for high end corporate IT solutions, as if I wanted to capture the entire network or something like that. I just want to capture a device, just one. So all I need is a small capture box, not a rack mounted server.

So I guess the solution is, as was proposed, to get a small cheap laptop and bundle that to the customer's location.

Laurent