Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Unanswered SYNs

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:16:54 -0400
Sheahan, John wrote:
I recently ran accross a problem where the application engineers were complaining that they were getting java socket timeouts in the server logs. They said that the application would only log this problem if the server attempted to connect but the 3 way handshake failed. After sniffing the communication using Sniffer Pro, the "expert" did not find these unanswered SYNs. I wound up having to apply a SYN and FIN filter at the same time, exporting it to CSV, importing it into Excel and sorting by port. At that point, I was able to scroll down through every converstation in the trace and see if every SYN that was sent had a corresponding FIN. When I did this, I was able to easily spot multiple unanswered FINs, get the port number and filter on those, thus solving the application engineer's problem. My question is, is there some way that I could have used the wireshark software to filter on unanswered SYNs and could have saved myself alot of work?

One of the most powerful things about Ethereal is the display filter. For example, typing in (tcp.flags&7) should give you all tcp handshake packets. With this, it should be trivial to find the unanswered acks (a series of SYN, SYN, SYN, then RST)

A display filter should be possible with Sniffer Pro, but it is much much more cumbersome (as I recall, haven't used SnifferPro in about four years!!!

--

Thanks,
Hansang