Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] packet id 0 ???

From: "Fabiana moreno" <fvmoreno@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:40:41 +0100
could this be a dependent problem from the kernel fedora is using? i know there have been some issues with some kernels versions...

On 11/04/2008, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fabiana moreno wrote:
> oh...well the machine where the darwin streaming is running is linux.
> fedora 8 distribution...

You should probably ask the Fedora people how to get the IP stack to add
an IP ID (assuming the Darwin Streaming Server isn't doing something
weird such as using a raw socket and constructing its own IP headers).

> but i think every packet should have an id, or
> am i wrong?

I was surprised when I saw your trace, but, when I looked at RFC 791, it
didn't seem to prohibit leaving the IP ID as 0 for packets with "don't
fragment" set, and the only thing RFC 1122 says about the identification
field is

        When sending an identical copy of an earlier datagram, a host MAY
optionally retain the same Identification field in the copy.

so there's nothing I can see that would require that, even for packets
with "don't fragment" set, packets not all be given the same ID value.