Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Capturing the gateway

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 11:55:29 -0600
On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 08:21:58AM -0400, RD wrote:

> I would like to "see" what DNS server I am actually using ... as I
> just switched from one to another ...seems I used to be able to do
> that, but not now. And I can't remember what I've changed around

> what I see is a DNS query from 10.0.1.2 over to 10.0.1.1 and the
> returned answer.

The Airport Extreme access point/router acts as a DNS server for your
local network and then it forwards queries to the actual DNS servers.
To see the actual ones, you could look in the Airport utility or, if you
want to use Wireshark, you will need a hub or Ethernet tap and connect
it in between the Airport and the DSL modem.

Steve