Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] application-pcap mime type for XDG / Linux

From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:41:03 +0000
I'm an Ubuntu (Kubuntu) user who loves wireshark, but who tires of not being
able to open libpcap files with a double-click.  So I created an
application-pcap mimetype and icon (from the wireshark icon).

http://www.tolaris.com/linux/application-pcap.tar.gz

Unpack and run from the directory as your user:

./install_application-pcap.sh

Now you can "Open with ..." wireshark and it will associate with libpcap files
by mimetype.  Sorry, I cannot make this association work directly without
modifying the wireshark.desktop file, and I leave that kind of thing to the
developers.  If someone cares to make higher-resolution icons, please email
them to me and I'll update the package.

Don't like it?  Run again with -u to uninstall.

I apologise if this is the wrong place to post this.  I also apologise if it
is inappropriate to create a mimetype for libpcap with wireshark in mind, but
I don't see the libpcap people getting on that.  I hope this is useful to
others, and that the awesome wireshark devs consider adding just one line to
wireshark.desktop:

MimeType=application/pcap

Regards,
Tyler

--
Longum iter est per preaecepta, breve et efficax per exempla.
[It's a long way by the rules, but brief and efficient with examples.]