Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Summary View Info Column

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:42:08 -0600
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:06:25AM -0000, Keith French wrote:

> In recent versions of Wireshark this behaviour seems to have changed,
> in that it tries to resolve the source port of the SYN as well. The
> name it resolves it to (on my PC anyway) is often misleading:-
>
> qsnet-trans > http [SYN]

This is because we now ship Wireshark with a full services file (port to
name mapping) from the IANA.  Windows has one built-in, but it is much
shorter than the one we now use.

> Is there a way to do this?

Not unless you want to turn off port name lookups hroughout Wireshark,
which can be done in the Name Resolution preferences (transport name
resolution).

Steve