Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wire shark from the program

From: "Vinay Chilakamarri" <vinay.chilakamarri@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:39:40 -0700
I thought that Wireshark must have registered itself as one of the environment variables, when it ran from the start->run .. I couldn't find anything in the environment variables but. I'll just navigate to the directory from the program and execute wireshark from there as you pointed.

Thanks.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 5:30 PM, Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 05:13:49PM -0700, Vinay Chilakamarri wrote:

> I am trying run the wireshark from the program, with certain arguments
> fed to it before it starts. I was trying to get this done by calling
> wireshark from the command line. I observed that I can run the program
> from the run box of windows (Start->run) by typing 'wireshark'.. but
> the same doesn't work when I actually type it in console. I get an
> error 'wireshark' is not recognized as an internal or external
> command, operable program or batch file. Any idea on why this is
> happening?

I'm not sure why you can run it from the Start->Run dialog as I cannot.
At the prompt, you need to change into the Wireshark directory first
because the Wireshark program directory usually isn't in the path.  Do
something like:

cd "\program files\wireshark"

Then run Wireshark with the command arguments desired.

Steve