Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wire shark from the program

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 18:30:05 -0600
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 05:13:49PM -0700, Vinay Chilakamarri wrote:

> I am trying run the wireshark from the program, with certain arguments
> fed to it before it starts. I was trying to get this done by calling
> wireshark from the command line. I observed that I can run the program
> from the run box of windows (Start->run) by typing 'wireshark'.. but
> the same doesn't work when I actually type it in console. I get an
> error 'wireshark' is not recognized as an internal or external
> command, operable program or batch file. Any idea on why this is
> happening?

I'm not sure why you can run it from the Start->Run dialog as I cannot.
At the prompt, you need to change into the Wireshark directory first
because the Wireshark program directory usually isn't in the path.  Do
something like:

cd "\program files\wireshark"

Then run Wireshark with the command arguments desired.

Steve