Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Ask for cap file including stard fibre channel protocol

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:05:09 -0700
zhen li wrote:

I am very excited when finding fibre channel decoding feature in ethereal,
I wish to see how can ethereal decode fibre channel packets,
but I can not deviced a cap file including  fibre channel protocol,
so can you help me to generate such a file

Wireshark (that's Ethereal's new name:

	http://www.wireshark.org/faq.html#q1.2

) only dissects Fibre Channel when it's encapsulated with:

Cisco's special encapsulations of Fibre Channel frames in Ethernet frames (for debugging trace purposes);

	CNT's "Cross Point Frame Injector" encapsulation of FC in UDP packets;

	RFC 3821 FCIP;

	T11's proposed Fibre Channel over Ethernet encapsulation.

We don't currently support any encapsulation for "raw" FC frames.

Are you trying to capture a Fibre Channel trace on an FC network (rather than an Ethernet or other non-FC network where one of the encapsulations listed above are used)?