Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] wireless lan packet

From: Hansang Bae <hbae@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:31:46 -0400
> Hansang Bae wrote:
>> I've had better luck with Packetyzer (google network chemistry
>> packetyzer).  For example, Wireshark refuses to open my Cisco wireless
>> adapter, but Packetyzer can bind to the NIC.

Guy Harris wrote:
Neither Wireshark nor Packetyzer open adapters - they both use WinPcap:
[snip]
so any difference in the adapters they can open is probably an issue with WinPcap.

Are Wireshark and Packetyzer running on the same machine? What version or versions of WinPcap are they using? (I'm not sure it's possible to have more than one version installed on the same machine.)

I should have made it more clear. Packetyzer and Wireshark are installed on the same PC. Registry points to "c:\program files\winpcap" for winpcap. I've also confirmed that no packet.dll exists under the network chemistry's directory. I am using packet.dll version 4.0.0.901 and Wireshark Version 0.99.6a (SVN Rev 22276).

Weird...I was going to write "Packetyzer let's me capture with my Cisco CB20A card. Wireshark does not. It throws up an error message....."

so I ran Wireshark to get the error message (what I got earlier). But now, it works (user data, not control data). Very odd. I'll see if I can reproduce the error message that I got earlier.

--

Thanks,
Hansang